Thursday, December 25, 2008

Religion

In my opinion religion has been one of the mayor setbacks in human progress along history.

Religion kept Europe in the middle ages. Religion is most surely the most frequently used excuse for war in human history. And for torture. And for child abuse. And for corruption. And retracted morals...

I do not believe in god, in a god whatever name is used for him/her/it (what if it turns out to be a dolphin?).
I do not have a problem with people believing in some superior being, as long as they keep it to themselves. As long as they do not use it as an excuse like mentioned above. As long as they do not want to impose this belief on me or anyone else.
How come most religions seem to want to impose themselves upon others?
How come people can do harm in name of religion?

I believe in observation and measurable causes and effects.
I believe in science.
I don't know of any war that has ever been fought in the name of science...
Scientist do normally want to convince others, but not impose.

... it's late, but I'm not done!
Goodnight.

link to remember: http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=darwin-on-the-right

No comments: